Basic Brisket, Rib and Butt Rub
- 3 cups Paprika..Hungarian 140 ASTA
- ¼ cup Cayenne Pepper 40 hotness
- ½ cup Black pepper, medium course
- ½ cup White Pepper Finely Ground
- ½ cup Onion Powder… NOT flakes
- ½ Cup Garlic Powder… NOT granules
- ¾ Cup Ground Yellow Mustard
- 3 Cups Brown or turbinado Sugar
- ½ Cup Chili Powder
- 1 Cup White Sugar or turbinado…
This rub will cake…so be sure it is free flowing before you use it. If I’m using this rub on Ribs or roasts, I’ll add ½ cup Provence
Please note that I don’t use SALT!….SALT is dirt cheap and used in many commercial rubs… To the unsophisticated palate, it seems to make things taste better. However, this is only true if your base rubs aren’t up to par. Buy only the finest and freshest spices and leave out all SALT….
This rub is for low and slow smoking only… The sugars will turn black if you use this rub for grilling.
Don’t do it!! Don’t buy your spices at the grocery store!!!! Buy from a large spice merchant.